Ubuntu 7.10 is the hotness :)

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 20,183
I just experienced my first hanging on Ubuntu, inspite of having disabled powernowd. But the difference was that it wasn't random, it was event triggered. I was seeking an avi movie in Totem, when everything froze and the audio that was playing started recurring (A 1/2 second fraction, it sounded like an old scratched VCD which gets stuck). Any ideas? Could anybody here help me out with the processes in Ubuntu? I want to disable all processes that are not necessary.

for processes i think you go into system-prefs-session...not sure about the hanging... did you try adding kernel boot parameters to your grub boot entry (/boot/grub/menu.lst) such as "noapic" , "nolapic" and "acpi=off" ?

those options are for hardware which does not have things implemented properly/fully and using them causes hangups... like APIC or ACPI... those options enables some workarounds...for example, ubuntu/fedora hang on my tablet some time after/during boot unless i add the "noapic" optionsome desktop motherboards might have a similar problem with linux...do you need help adding those options or do you already know how?update:as root do the following (if you can manage it without screwing up your installation! :) ) :make a backup copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. then edit it (not the backup!) to locate the line starting with "# kopt="...at the end of the line add " noapic nolapic acpi=off" note the space at the start as well which will go to the end of the existing "# kopt=" line...save the file, then run "update-grub", then reboot and see if you can reproduce the hang...

I doubt that is being caused due to apic or acpi . Dont add those parameters unless you are absolutely sure thats causing the problem . If you are experiencing hangup's only while playing video it might be temporary problem . Try vlc or mplayer and btw do ur screen hang even when you are not playing video ?? Btw you can just chmod -x /etc/init.d/powernowd to stop it from running at boot time . Theres also one powernowd.early which may enable powernow so chmod -x both of them .

oh is it only with video playback? i wonder why powernow helped in that case...

apoorv: do a "lsmod | grep powernow" and see if anything shows up...

for me it shows some lines with "powernow_k8" so i think you need to add that as a line in the module blacklist file at "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist"

"blacklist powernow" and "blacklist powernow_k8"

maybe powernow is reloading after reboots without this blacklisting

oh wait, i reread the post, powernow might not be the problem either... i say it could be one of those kernel boot parameters

please post your cpu and motherboard details, info about networking and sound models etc will also help...

see this comment on a blog Random Freeze Jefim Borissov

and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core_2_Duo_Support

they are old but related... so i really think its a kernel parameter :)

also disable any desktop effects (if you have it running) then try playing video...

Well, the upgrade was done overnight (three times now the 35 mb download was interrupted). Did it via aptitude. Also installed monodevelop. But it is a usability nightmare compared to VS2005. Faced similar problems with SharpDevelop on Windows. These guys have to do something about it.

my first post from Ubuntu 7.10 :Don VMWare though :pneed to find a way to configure bridge mode...any help would be most welcome...tried to search in the forum, but cudn't find :( ...may be didn't put too much effort... :P

I am at a loss as far as networking via VMWare goes. One day miraculously, I did get something working. Not able to replicate it though. And the help documentation is written by an android. Has no head or tail.-----------------------Well, everybody is on Ubuntu 7.10. it will take me three whole days to download it. Hope LFY ships it next month. But they will send openSUSE 10.3. No doubt about it.

Back