Indian Cricket Season 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 841
  • Views Views 47,962
Thats true, but then guys like Rohit etc are also getting extended runs. And its not that Balaji has not been playing well. I can understand someone like Yo Mahesh being looked upon with suspicion, but Balaji has come under praise from the Kolkatta team & management & though it was a blessing in disguise that he was unfit for final & allowed Bisla to play, they felt he was one of the major contributors in the tournament.

And they call other bowlers from vacation in Miami and give them to bowl in the test even though they did not do well in first class season (R P Singh)

I mean guys like Vinay have been inconsistent as well & they have also got chances. Balaji was recalled in 2009 & given just 5 overs to prove, in a game wherein every bowler was thrashed. I am not saying he is a good Test player. He may not be suitable for ODI as well, but in T20, and with T20 in SL, if he can do what he has done in most of the last 2-3 I-PL, he could make a difference there.And the selectors do have him in radar for the T20 world cup probables. The 8 pacemen are Umesh Yadav, Ashok Dinda, Vinay Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Irfan Pathan, Munaf Patel, Praveen Kumar, L Balaji. In which Zaheer & maybe because of the current situation Pathan will get in. Question is who among the remaining 6 needs to join them, 2 likely. Umesh may get in because of his pace. And though they can go back to Vinay, Munaf & Praveen or again Dinda - is that the right way ahead?

Why Zaheer in ODIs?Ashish Nehra was dropped saying that India were looking for players for the next WC. Nehra is 6 months younger than Zaheer but is dropped where as Zaheer who is better in Tests is continued.Nehra did bowl well in ODIs till being dropped.Selectors are baffling!

It was the world cup injury that did him in. He has not been recalled since then despite having become fit. I-PL was ok-ish. And with Umesh, Aaron looking promising they decide to give him a skip.

Actually Rohit Sharma is a very good batsmen .. im no fan of his just to make it clear .. If some of u remember the asia cup match it was rohit sharma who batted with kohli to take India to a win chasing a 300 + score .. he may have just found some bad form and any batter goes through that .. one cant pick and drop players with one bad series .. yes if he flops for another 8 - 10 odis then selectors need to dump him ... i think players like kohli and rohit are indias test future so they need to be dealth with properly .. raina too was flopping few games back but now hes in form so this always goes on .. indias batting is not the issue , problem is they need better bowlers ... and i feel they are playing with 5 bowlers and thats too many for a odi ... india always does well when they play with 7 batters and 4 bowlers ..

@gaurang08 - Rohit's failures have been more than the others... His good performances are far and few in between, and the odd match he has done well also has been against weaker teams. Against good teams, you can literally count his good performances on your fingers , and maybe just use one hand.

Going by his IPL performances in the recent years, Balaji does seem to have improved a lot in the shortest format of the game. Even with his absolute lack of pace, he has used the conditions really well to his benefit. He deserves a chance, but then our captain doesn't like him since he didn't do much with CSK

Actually he was still average, but even less consistent, and remember, he was coming back from injuries especially in 2008/09 . CS-K did bid for him till about 450k & then decided to let him go. In fact they got Yo Mahesh & Joginder & Tyagi (do ppl even know the last 2 were available), and had they not got them they would have gone for Balaji even bit more.

Nohit sharma plays well only in IPL. He clicks once a while in ODIs and thats it. I think he got so many opportunities, I think others too need some chances. Rahane did a lot better but is still waiting!

Back