• Thread starter Thread starter Tejas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 24,519

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
This will be my first washing machine and I am truly clueless what should I look for. Need your help with some pointers. Following are some details if they help.

1. Top load machine for a family of two.
2. Weight- between 6-7 kg. I mean I don't know. Will 7 kg be too much for 2 people. We will be primarily using it for washing heavy clothes like bedsheets, curtains, recron pillows. I was thinking of getting 6.5 kgs if in case there is extra load. 7 kg just to be extra safe.
3. Which brand to look for? No idea. LG seems fine. Any brand which has a better service record. I have had bad experiences with big brands like Sony, Hitachi, IFB. So will be avoiding them. Samsung, LG have been good for me. My 2002 Samsung refrigerator still going strong.
4. Most important- I live in an area where the issue of corrosion is significant. So any company which offers durable electronics will be preferred.(Seems LG already got a head start here with corrosion proof and inverter tech.)
5. Availability of spare parts.
6. I live on 4th floor and the main water tank is on the 8th floor(terrace). So I am assuming there shouldn't be any issue with water pressure. In summers it may create some problem when water supply is reduced.
7. Budget 15,000-18,000.
8. Can i get a heater in top load models? From what I searched for, didn't find any.
What are the other things I need to look for? Do I need to get a wheel tray? I mean I am looking at a possibility that I might have to move the machine during summers when water supply and pressure is low.
What are the demerits of not having the required water pressure?

stick to tide. indian tide is probably not as good as the original american one. but at least they are a proper detergent company. and it is sold at good discounts regularly comparable to local brands.

i have of course tested both syclone and grofer's own home grown products. they all work fine tbh. i mean we don't really get dirty cloths as we used to when we were kids. no one is playing around with mud. so it's likely you would notice any difference if cloth quality gets spoiled after several months of usage of the same product.

as for the descaling powder. installation guys probably make money from selling them. it's strange that LG guy pushed for it. they are nowhere as pushy as ifb guys who would basically scare you into buying the powder. that said, i do always keep a pouch handy and do use it once every couple of months. if you do not have a hard water problem in your area, once every couple of months should be fine.

i am not sure if your lg model has a tub cleaner function. it does seem similar to what i have except for the wifi functionality? do read about tub cleaning function in manual and run every couple of weeks. lg i believe suggest running after 40 cycles. i end up using a few cups of vinegar during this cycle though i am not sure if it helps.

Upvote 0
He was not pushy, he just mentioned once, Dad heard it and asked him for details. Frankly, we took it just to be on a safe side, being first machine. With time we will know if it's necessary or just white vinegar and baking soda would do fine.
It has tub cleaner.. ecL is displayed on control panel. It's under extra functions(those press for 3 seconds) on panel.
How much vinegar do you use, I mean using few caps of the bottle should be sufficient or you use some other utensil?

Upvote 0
yup same. it is a ~1 hour 15 minute cycle that you run every couple of weeks. this is where you have the option of adding descaling powder or other chemicals. i run it once every ~10 days with vinegar or just water. it basically cleans up excess soap that has been collected in the drum. my main problem is mud in water. it collects inside the rubber ring around the door. you need to keep an eye in this area as well and clean it up every couple of days.

as for descaling powder. if you google around, you would see that it is mostly a chemical that can be purchased for much cheaper if you have a source. but for using 4-5 times in a year... i guess one can stick with LG ScaLGo.

Upvote 0
Guys, which descaling powder are you using? I got "Lygienic" from LG guy. Never heard of it. I thought Scalgo was the official product for LG machine.
Is this Lygienic powder safe? Or should I go for Scalgo?

Upvote 0
I've used the descaling powder for my IFB machine only twice in the last 8-9 years. That too when the refrigerator technician gave them for free. Lol

Upvote 0
Guys, I have two questions..
1. Does tne pre-wash/pre-soak water gets thrown away before start of the main cycle? More specifically for LG machine.
2. I have a slight formation of sud, which will eventually disappear as the cycle progress. I was thinking whether the pre-wash water being the reason for that sud formation.
I use 0.5 cup of powder for 6-7 small clothes. That too 1/4th spread to pre-wash and tne remaining for main wash.
Am I doing something wrong??

Upvote 0
why are you prewashing? isn't it supposed to be used for extra dirty cloths? 😛

i don't think i have used that feature ever. i might be wrong about this. but it is designed to take out extra dirt. so throwing the water out before primary wash makes sense? i don't remember reading about it in the manual but i might have skipped that bit.

Upvote 0
Crap... I think I have understood both pre wash and pre-soak as one and same. Dad would pre-soak clothes in warm water before washing and I wanted to do it same. Yes, you are right, pre-wash is to remove extra dirt.. and I was wondering why was my drum tumbling while it was supposed to be stationary and just soak the clothes.🤦

Any idea about how to pre-soak them? Seems like I will have to manually do it if no function present. Time to hit that manual again...😤

How much quantity of powder are you using? I am using half of the cup for 6-7 small clothes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Back