Airtel broadband lite (standby) plans

• Thread starter Thread starter sidharth098
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 7,258
I badly want to downgrade to 10Mbps plan, enough of airtel's bullshit, connection goes down 4-5 times in a day and comes back with too much packet loss. Don't know how to downgrade!

@vikram_ch and others - Did you try this plan recently? It seems like this is now clubbed with the Rs 399 Airtel Black plan which also includes Rs 260 worth DTH credits.

For getting a partial waiver of installation fees, the first payment has to be Rs 3300 which would include Rs 2800 as advance credits and Rs 500 towards installation.

If you buy 399 entertainment bundle with advance payment, he/she needs to pay Rs. 3300 for the same. Out of this total, 2800 Rs. Will be adjusted against the bill and Rs. 500 will be non-refundable installation fee. If you buy this plan on monthly basis, you will be required to pay Rs. 2500 as non-refundable activation fee.

Does anyone know if the the Rs 199 plan is available as a standalone plan now?

Airtel recently started service in my apartment. They have the 399 black combo plan in the list they shared but not the 199 standalone plan.

This is for a new connection anyway, I’ll try reaching out to them.

Applied for the 399 plan today, paid Rs 3300 out of which Rs 500 is for installation. Rs 2800 will be an advance which can be used for future bills.

The sales person didn’t have any clue of the standalone 199 plan. He initially denied even the 399 plan and was pushing for the 699 combo plan. Anyway finally went with the 399 plan, he had some technical issue in placing the order for that plan but he got it sorted out.

Installation is supposed to be tomorrow.

Connection got installed today, Airtel team did a decent job with the wiring. Due to the way my TV unit is setup, the junction box where the cable enters the apartment is not properly accessible, also I had an ACT cable coming through the telecom duct already. Even though it took some time, they did a good job and had to re-crimp the ACT cable as it was used to pull the fiber.

Coming to the connection itself, for the internet, they used a Dasan H660GM-A. Seems decent on first look, but seems locked. Anyway I was thinking of using a different ONT, let's see how it works.

For DTH, they gave the Xstream STB, seems decent on first look. But there seem to be some signal issues, the technician said it's due to the cloudy weather and it would improve, but some channels are showing no signal, some are working. Anyway will give it some time.

What confuses me most is how the DTH and internet plan works under Airtel Black. Under DTH, it shows a balance of Rs 2000 and for internet it shows the Rs 198 plan activated. The DTH plan is shown as some Rs 307 plan.

Then in the SMS that I got it said

Plan Rental: Rs 399.61(+Taxes) including 59.0 discount

Benefits:
a. 261 worth TV channels
b. 10.0 Mbps Wi-Fi speed & Unlimited data

Bit confusing, maybe things are still in the activation phase and would update shortly.

Another interesting thing is, the internet IP address is in the 171.76.x.x series ie a public IP address, which is kinda awesome.

Okay, looks like it was in that transition phase, now it seems to have updated as Airtel Black 399. However the plan they activated shows its worth Rs 307, however the eligibility is for Rs 260, so not sure how the balance Rs 47 or so would be handled. Anyway I want to change the TV plan, many unneeded channels are there, which can be dropped. Will take a look at how to do that.

So the Rs 307 is Rs 260 + tax, which makes sense. The app however was not allowing me to customise the plan the way I want, they force you to choose a pre-built bundle which has many channels that cannot be removed. What I wanted was an ala-carte plan with the channels that I choose that adds up to Rs 260 (before taxes). However, there seem to be a way to do it using the Airtel Thanks app, but it doesn't work properly on the iOS app, had to use Android. Anyway now I added the channels that I want and it seems to be good. Still there is a confusion with the pricing as different parts of the Airtel app shows different pricing. Guess need to wait till the next bill which would generate next month.

Overall, I found this Rs 399 plan pretty neat. The internet performance is also decent, Speedtest.net tests show 20+ Mbps, not sure why, but fast.net shows the 10-12 Mbps as expected. Either way I didn't notice any issues with regular browsing and online meetings.

Makes a perfect backup connection IMO.

Back