Hayai Broadband Lite

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 46,492
Status
Not open for further replies.
no u dont get it . he has reliance wired broadband ! . thts an error which one day happened to him . and reliance ppl just dint knew/care/bother with it . (they said ping doesnt matter, while he struggled for 7 days)
he and i are knowledgable enough to not even attempt playing at 250 ping . ur thinking generally . i was just telling mg a story . his ping was restored to the usual 70-100 .
(yes we do play on garena)

about the server thing . : why would mg bother with garena (unless he play himself) . we can just go and host our own games on garena . pigns will be crazy low already . only the latest games ( since the servers are secured and their code is unrelased to public )need servers to be hosted by some company level guy like mg. example bad company 2 , cod black ops ......
but then mg (or any1 else for that matter) will only host such servers if there is demand . and as you know , only very few indian guys spend money on original games when they are given an option for pirated downloading/purchase. so no one is gonna start a black ops / bc2 server for 4-5 ppl.

other old games( if you mean like counter strike , call of duty 4, 5, dota , warcraft ) , you can create a server yourself!
what games do u have in mind ?

My bad ... But we are in Hayai lite section & we were discussing Tikonna so I assumed u or ur frnd was on on a wireless connection(especially seeing that ping)

Anyway about the server... If u read through MG's posts he has mentioned several times that he would like to host game servers like Steam/PSN/Xbox Live so as to give customers a nice gaming experience... Well it does make sense as Hayai is trying to target a niche & Gaming in India is a niche that requires a very high bandwidth & is generally ignored... But I have a feeling this niche is gonna explode in the next few years & when it does Companies like Hayai will benefit hugely from it :thumbsup:...

BTW I no most of the gamers in India are on pirated versions thats y I suggested if he is gonna host servers he should also try & accomodate a Garena server coz if lets ppl play online even if the games are pirated... All this of course depends if MG can strike some kind of arrangement with the concerned ppl...

My bad ... But we are in Hayai lite section & we were discussing Tikonna so I assumed u or ur frnd was on on a wireless connection(especially seeing that ping)

Anyway about the server... If u read through MG's posts he has mentioned several times that he would like to host game servers like Steam/PSN/Xbox Live so as to give customers a nice gaming experience... Well it does make sense as Hayai is trying to target a niche & Gaming in India is a niche that requires a very high bandwidth & is generally ignored... But I have a feeling this niche is gonna explode in the next few years & when it does Companies like Hayai will benefit hugely from it :thumbsup:...

BTW I no most of the gamers in India are on pirated versions thats y I suggested if he is gonna host servers he should also try & accomodate a Garena server coz if lets ppl play online even if the games are pirated... All this of course depends if MG can strike some kind of arrangement with the concerned ppl...

ah no :P . i was just following up to his comment about horror stories . nothing to do with hayai lite . purely OT .

now about the server thing. i have not seen mg's gaming server based posts clearly yet, i just heard he would be interested in something like that . but im just pin pointing few technicalities ur wrong about .
strictly speaking a game server is a server application which people(clients) joined and play online together. it can be hosted by a player himself . or hosted by some major service provider and purchased by someone (and operated remotely).

steam/psn/xbox live are NOT game servers . they are multiplayer gaming platforms(sort of like a base for multiplayer gaming in layman's terms), upon which many servers reside . so what ur saying is some what confusing .

if i have to guess, mg may in future try to reduce india's pings to psn/xbox live . and steam is still just a platform which brings the steam-gamers together. the servers there can STILL can be hosted anywhere in the world . so that has nothing to do what mg plans . (unless he eventually reduces international ping , but then we wont call that "For game serverS/steam". that will be purely network improvement ).

and finally coming to garena. garena is just a virtual lan thingy . the room in which you join on garena, all the room users come under a virtual lan , the ping's between them are = the pings they would otherwise have externally. so all garena does is put ppl under a roof , nothing else.
(so if 10 friends are planning to play dota , they can do so without touching garena at all . )
and if all hayaians were to say join a garena room . we would have sexy pings like 4ms, 5ms, 10ms to each and everyone ALREADY!. no such thing as a garena server. also you speak so generally about garena like ANY/MOST game which is pirated can be played on it . the number is very much limited, and if speaking just in terms of quantity , you will only find people playing > dota , warcraft3 there . rest players are negligible.

so just wanted to make that clear. like i asked earlier . what games do you have in mind ? coz the server thing depends most of the time on the game.

BTW @MG are u gonna host gaming servers for PC other than Steam??? Garena is a popular choice among many gamers coz it does not chk for if the game is pirated or not...

We won't, however a number of game-server companies have expressed interest in putting servers in our data center. One will probably be going in to a combined facility (with another ISP) next month. I don't know what platform(s) they are running. We are trying to get (apart from Steam) Xbox Live and Playstation Network courtesy of Akamai and Limelight.

about the server thing . : why would mg bother with garena (unless he play himself) . we can just go and host our own games on garena . pigns will be crazy low already . only the latest games ( since the servers are secured and their code is unrelased to public )need servers to be hosted by some company level guy like mg. example bad company 2 , cod black ops ......
but then mg (or any1 else for that matter) will only host such servers if there is demand . and as you know , only very few indian guys spend money on original games when they are given an option for pirated downloading/purchase. so no one is gonna start a black ops / bc2 server for 4-5 ppl.

other old games( if you mean like counter strike , call of duty 4, 5, dota , warcraft ) , you can create a server yourself!
what games do u have in mind ?

Demand translates to bandwidth. The gameserver companies in question are starting with 1TB of data a month on 100mbit/s connections, so for us it's probably better we give that responsibility to the game server companies and just sell them bandwidth at sufficiently cheap rates and then we don't have to worry about it, and it all still comes under Hayai Zone.

Gaming doesn't require high bandwidth per se, just super low pings. Gaming is better on cable ISPs than ADSL ISPs simply due to the nature of ADSL and the fact that I believe it's interleaved in India (basically this is done for error correction), but unfortunately this can introduce 20-30ms of extra latency.

As always, we're open to suggestions (I've only really hosted LAN games of various FPSes when I was a big younger, otherwise I don't really know too much about online gaming myself, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance) so if setting up a server with this Garena system turns out to be a good idea and would attract users to the service, then there is no reason we couldn't set one up or make that suggestion to one of the aforementioned gameserver companies.

i guess i havent yet grown up (i hope i never will) coz i still play a lot of games but very few MP games like CS1.6 CSS WOW MW2 etc which seems to piss off my fiance a lot with common sarcasm like 'You should marry the comp. why bother spending time with me' . :P

i guess i havent yet grown up (i hope i never will) coz i still play a lot of games but very few MP games like CS1.6 CSS WOW MW2 etc which seems to piss off my fiance a lot with common sarcasm like 'You should marry the comp. why bother spending time with me' . :P

Mine has her own vices. Mostly designer shoes, clothes and accessories. I guess if I want to keep my bank account full I have to lavish her with attention so that she won't go shopping :D

I wanted to comment on this thread, about how much this girl reminds me of her (well, her love of material things, anyway), but I had already sent the link for her to watch :D

We won't, however a number of game-server companies have expressed interest in putting servers in our data center. One will probably be going in to a combined facility (with another ISP) next month. I don't know what platform(s) they are running. We are trying to get (apart from Steam) Xbox Live and Playstation Network courtesy of Akamai and Limelight.

Demand translates to bandwidth. The gameserver companies in question are starting with 1TB of data a month on 100mbit/s connections, so for us it's probably better we give that responsibility to the game server companies and just sell them bandwidth at sufficiently cheap rates and then we don't have to worry about it, and it all still comes under Hayai Zone.

things just keep getting better and better :yahoo:

As always, we're open to suggestions (I've only really hosted LAN games of various FPSes when I was a big younger, otherwise I don't really know too much about online gaming myself, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance) so if setting up a server with this Garena system turns out to be a good idea and would attract users to the service, then there is no reason we couldn't set one up or make that suggestion to one of the aforementioned gameserver companies.

like i wrote in previous post . garena is just a virtual lan thing . it just brings people under one roof. there is no server per se . people enter a room with capacity upto 250 ppl (basic lan limit:tongue:) and are put on a virtual lan like hamachi if uve heard of it. with the technical things like the virtual lan ip and stuff hidden from the user level to make it dummy-proof. (i think it uses the third octet of class c ip addreses 192.168.x.1 )
so after being on that garena room, when you start the game you choose the LAN option in your game to find the server , if someone hosted

its just a place to bring ppl together and nothing else. and one of the people who play host a game himself. there are no DEDICATED servers . and many people , many many people who play there FAIL to understand this. and keep blaming garena when someone LAGS, or disconnects in game . (its quite hilarious being the knowledagable one :P ). the problem being the failure or their own internet, or the host's internet

so in otherwords , if few people who know each other were to play a game together, they wouldnt need garena. so basically hayai/you dont have to bother with this garena. ppl can just go login there and have excellent pings with hayai zoners already.

and only 2 major games are played there , its dormant otherwise. and you cant play "any" game there. particular game has to be supported and none of the new games are included there because of the new dedicated non-public server system most games tend to have

Mine has her own vices. Mostly designer shoes, clothes and accessories. I guess if I want to keep my bank account full I have to lavish her with attention so that she won't go shopping :D

I wanted to comment on this thread, about how much this girl reminds me of her (well, her love of material things, anyway), but I had already sent the link for her to watch :D

Wow someone might be sleeping on the couch when he comes back to India :P ....

@dfinch I m well aware than what Multiplayer gaming platforms are... But wht u fail to understand that most gaming platforms have to be hosted on Servers (including Garena/PSN/Xbox live)... Also pls chk the meaning of game servers from here ... Therefore I stand by what I said... BTW I have hosted(hired???) a CS server for about 12 months a few years back with a frnd of mine known as JAM on the CS circle... Cost about 2k a month at that time... Also ran a Ragnarok(MMORPG) private game server for about 6 months so I basically know what I m talking about...

PS yes Garena creates a basic Virtual Lan but it is able to do so by using servers... Just check when u are connecting to garena it asks u which "SERVER" u want to join... Server 1,2,3 etc...

like i wrote in previous post . garena is just a virtual lan thing . it just brings people under one roof. there is no server per se . people enter a room with capacity upto 250 ppl (basic lan limit:tongue:) and are put on a virtual lan like hamachi if uve heard of it. with the technical things like the virtual lan ip and stuff hidden from the user level to make it dummy-proof. (i think it uses the third octet of class c ip addreses 192.168.x.1 )

Probably not... that wouldn't be very good subnetting. It had better support IPv6 otherwise it might not work properly.

so after being on that garena room, when you start the game you choose the LAN option in your game to find the server , if someone hosted

its just a place to bring ppl together and nothing else. and one of the people who play host a game himself. there are no DEDICATED servers . and many people , many many people who play there FAIL to understand this. and keep blaming garena when someone LAGS, or disconnects in game . (its quite hilarious being the knowledagable one :P ). the problem being the failure or their own internet, or the host's internet

so in otherwords , if few people who know each other were to play a game together, they wouldnt need garena. so basically hayai/you dont have to bother with this garena. ppl can just go login there and have excellent pings with hayai zoners already.

and only 2 major games are played there , its dormant otherwise. and you cant play "any" game there. particular game has to be supported and none of the new games are included there because of the new dedicated non-public server system most games tend to have

So it's P2P gaming, not necessarily client-host... but... if we put a machine in there for the purpose of having people connect to it for gaming with this system, at least that's one way to guarantee that the thing isn't going to go down unless there is a catastrophic failure of our network - otherwise if the host goes down or if the part of the network that the host is on goes down, everyone is screwed, whereas if it's in our place, only the part of the network that might go down would be affected - so if, for example, the Chembur PoP was knocked offline for some reason, then only users in Chembur would be affected. However if the same thing happened and the host was in Chembur itself, then all users would be affected - and that's a bummer.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Wow someone might be sleeping on the couch when he comes back to India :P ....

Haha. I see that as quite unlikely... she knows it very well - I was told of these vices very early on by her, her parents, uncles, aunts, friends - everyone... so I can't say I wasn't warned.

These days, she's shopping for me half the time, anyway, and I must say - I look smashing :D

@dfinch I m well aware than what Multiplayer gaming platforms are... But wht u fail to understand that most gaming platforms have to be hosted on Servers (including Garena/PSN/Xbox live)... Also pls chk the meaning of game servers from here ... Therefore I stand by what I said... BTW I have hosted(hired???) a CS server for about 12 months a few years back with a frnd of mine known as JAM on the CS circle... Cost about 2k a month at that time... Also ran a Ragnarok(MMORPG) private game server for about 6 months so I basically know what I m talking about...

let me clear up first of all that i have no means to fight. as thts common on forums.

i saw the wikipedia link, it says exactly what i said . i dont know what ur showing me . by this particular post u do seem to show that ur familiar with what a server is and yet you say garena is a game server? or a place for game servers? . (or something else entirely if i fail to comprehend you).
again im saying , im attacking you nowhere, so you did not have to give me your server hosting examples bro.
but you ignore all my posts and see urself what uve written .
secondly , xbox live, psn , etc. they must be hosted collectively on multiple servers thruout the world but then they would be called as gaming servers!.
and as for garena , you can see urself that no such thing as a garena server , its just a place for vlan .
you can join any room on garena . go to Mexico Rooms. and you and your fellow indian will still ping the same 40-50 . garena just organises and bring together ppl . so i dont know what ur asking mg to do with garena ?
sry for any confusions. :wewin:.

i just wrote a post reply to rajadeep. it had to be approved by a moderator. weird. does this happen when a posts gets long ? anyway mg plz approve it coz i forgot what i wrote already :P
what i wrote more or less:
rajdeep im not trying to attack you . i have no intentetions to fight as thts common in forums.
i saw the wikipedia link . it exactly says what i only told you .
xbox live and psn have to be hosted on servers ( everything eventually does) but that wont be a game server then. ur link itself says that.
i did not say you were some noob so you dint had to give me examples or ur previous server hostings. if you do know so much why would you ask mg to do something about garena . A VLAN! . its still not clear
sry for any confusions. if im the one who dint understand.

about ur last line
the garena server 1 , 2 ,3 is just their servers for handling the databse and users info and the chatting, chat rooms etc. again it had nothing to do with pings/games! .
you go to a mexico room with an indian and ull still ping the same! .

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Probably not... that wouldn't be very good subnetting. It had better support IPv6 otherwise it might not work properly.

i dont know........ it does have its bugs . and im not familiar with subnetting concepts
but garena has rooms (thousands and thousands of rooms )
each with the 250 player limit .
so basically those 250 ppl are isolated from any other garena user and become under a VLAN . and they get together and play the games. so i dont think ipv6 is neccessary . is it?

So it's P2P gaming, not necessarily client-host... but... if we put a machine in there for the purpose of having people connect to it for gaming with this system, at least that's one way to guarantee that the thing isn't going to go down unless there is a catastrophic failure of our network - otherwise if the host goes down or if the part of the network that the host is on goes down, everyone is screwed, whereas if it's in our place, only the part of the network that might go down would be affected - so if, for example, the Chembur PoP was knocked offline for some reason, then only users in Chembur would be affected. However if the same thing happened and the host was in Chembur itself, then all users would be affected - and that's a bummer.

well im not an expert. but since the end-result is a virtual lan . there has to be a host who single handedly handles the rest of the remaining players(clients) in the game.
if the host disconnects. all disconnect. that wouldnt be p2p ? (asking)

about the machine you put for the purpose of having peple connect to it . since were talking abou garena! . garena only supports a selecter number of gameS! . most of them are dormant . and not worth spending time and resources on .
only 2 games are warcraft3 and dota.
in dota/warcraft3 a person hast to host a game for 10 players including himself. the coding is such that if the hosts disconnects . ALL disconnects . so what extra can be done besides what garena is already doing is what i dont understand (something that rajadeep suggest hayai shud do ). the pings already are the minimal ones , which would otherwise be externally if u ping . if hayai users be on a garean room they will ping 4-10ms (whatever they would otherwise) .
so hayai need not bother on garena . ppl are mistaken about its concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back