New Airtel Broadband Plans with Better Fair Usage Policy Limits?

• Thread starter Thread starter hitman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 393
  • Views Views 66,821
@rshashank,
FUP calculation doesn't seem to be aligned with the bill period. I am on 25GB FUP limit plan and I got the "80% limit reached" sms yesterday (my bill period starts 26th every month) and my unbilled usage was ~140GB. And more interestingly, restarting the modem in some rare times gives me 2mbps or removes traffic shaping in torrent traffic! It's like a very odd game that is played with your modem.

How did you check you unbilled usage?

Still no speed upgrade .. getting 2Mbps only ..
Have called them and they r telling my bill generates on 24th so speed will be upgraded on 24th only after bill is generated .. But when my billing cycle starts from 23rd then y they want to wait till bill generation??? totally out of mind airtel ..

But upload speed is almost 1Mbps now ... So I guess need to wait one more day till I get 4Mbps...

https://www.speedtest.net

You'll find in most countries that after the FUP is reached, the speed is reduced to something significantly less than the original speed and not just cut in half from 2mbit/s to 1mbit/s; or 1mbit/s to 512 or 256kbit/s or whatever. From the outside, it's only because the speeds are so slow to begin with that the reduction is, in most cases, only 50-75%.

I say "only", because in Australia you can go from speeds of up to 24mbit/s or even 100mbit/s to either 64k or 256k once your FUP is reached - that's a reduction of anything between 98.95% or 1/96th (in the case of up to 24mbits to 256kbits) and an incredible 99.9375% or 1/1600th (in the case of 100mbits to 64kbits) of the original speed!

In NZ, we take the middle road with a reduction from up to 24mbit/s to 64kbit/s - a mere 99.73% or 1/384th - and we have even worse caps than what Airtel was throwing at you before (the largest ISP offers caps of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20 & 40GB per month, starting at Rs2850 up to Rs5109 a month... which further proves my point that speed doesn't cost, only data).

----------

How Bad Do We Really Have it? Bandwidth Caps Around the World

But down to 256k is a shame really. Thats NOT broadband, REGARDLESS of any deifinition. I know that internet is AUS,NZ and CANADA is bad too.. but you cant justify insane speed drops just because other countries have them.

And.. looking at you sig, you say Rs500/GB is not fair, and I agree, how much is according to you, and hayai?

arghh! no increase in upload speed. it's still around 30KBps :(@mgcarley do you have any plans for delhi region? what kind of problems you're facing in Noida? By the way good luck for your project.

^^^ yeah voter card... My 20 year old friend was quoted as a 56 year old in his voter card. Took him 1 year to reverse it.

lol...

How did you check you unbilled usage?
Log into airtel.in, then click on "Account Information", then your DSL user name and then on "Unbilled Amount".

Here's mine:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/unbilledamtdsl.png/

got the 2mbps alpha 3GB plan installed at home. considering i dropped my plans to move back. managed to convert the 1999 plan to 649 plan just in time to save me some money for the time being. the whole process turned out to be a huge mess. first i waited for them to install the connection. the promise was in 3 days. did not happen. on fourth day, i decided i am not moving back. so decided to cancel the plan. call came. i told them you are too late, i want to cancel. the guy on the other side said. ok, we would need an application. some more phone calls. was told that the backend setup had been initiated and it would be a mess to cancel the connection now. blah blah blah. it got frustrated. and i told them to install the connection.waited for another two days. multiple calls... some calls came confirming the cancellation. other calls came on why you are canceling when we are going ahead with installation. blah blah blah. they ended up calling home at landline (while the whole interaction was on my cell phone). dad was not updated with the latest developments so he ended up confusing them even more. blah blah blah. got a call in the morning. we visited your home and we were told that connection has not to be installed. wth? i responded. you guys were supposed to call me first before landing at my place. decided on a time... 2pm. i would be at home with a laptop for the installation. airtel guy landed at around 2:30... and it was installed. had to receive a welcome call to activate the connection. the guy on the other side was an ass. asked me the exact bill amount of the last payment. told him that i do not remember the exact figure as i pay online and do not really make note of the figure. had to check my online banking statement to get the exact number to get the 'WELCOME CALL' done. now need some device for dad that he can use at home to check emails and monitor stock market. considering google chromebook.

Back