New Airtel Broadband Plans with Better Fair Usage Policy Limits?

• Thread starter Thread starter hitman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 393
  • Views Views 66,821
ok i forgot to add something in this thread.

when i was trying to apply for a new airtel connection at parent's place...

they asked me for original copies of the bank statement for ID proof.

ORIGINAL COPIES.

not printouts.

not photocopies.

this is awkward.

why?

because airtel has been pushing all of us to switch to e-bills for a while now.

so they want us to switch to online statements but would not accept printouts as documentation.

double standards.

i actually took a colored printout of my bank statement... they asked me if it was original. i said no coz i do not get my bank statements in mail. i get them on my email id.

had to give my dad's voter id card for proof then. could not give my own because of the major mistakes in it. :|

They will probably accept notarized photocopies. If you have time it is a good idea to get a few notarized copies of your id documents.

^^^ yeah voter card... My 20 year old friend was quoted as a 56 year old in his voter card. Took him 1 year to reverse it.

well of course, i can also for that matter submit affidavits :|

the point is... how can they ask for original statements when they themselves force e-bills on us?

funny thing. they would not accept the bill of an existing airtel landline at the same address as address proof. i guess that is common to all service providers?

----------

^^^ yeah voter card... My 20 year old friend was quoted as a 56 year old in his voter card. Took him 1 year to reverse it.

i am not even trying.. saving myself the hassle. resulting in only more hassles. i never wanted to apply for it in the first place. dad pushed me.

i was able to vote earlier this year by showing my PAN Card as the ID proof. after so many years of voter id card in existence, the system is so messed up that they still allow alternative methods of ID verification.

Supposed to get the Unique Id card soon. We better wear a girl's wig for the mugshot in case they make a mistake LOL

I've applied for the turbo 75 GB plan. According to Airtel, "the same will be effective from next bill cycle date 26-06-2011', which is next week.It's the same price as my existing plan & I don't think I'll ever cross 75GB. And if I do cross it, there's always the Turbo 150GB plan. So, for users like me, this might be a good thing.

Supposed to get the Unique Id card soon. We better wear a girl's wig for the mugshot in case they make a mistake LOL

yeah hope that will somewhat solve the too many ID problem.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm on one of airtel's old Freedom 2999 plans.

I pay 2999 for 2mbps till 100 GB and then 1 mbps thereafter.

I'm tempted for the turbo 150gb plan, 4mbps till 150 GB and then 256 kbps there after. Only thing is that the speed is reduced 8 times to 256.

:blink3:

Two days back I hit the 30GB FUP limit and even got an email alert but speed has not reduced from 2mbps to 1mbps as per my plan. ( I have downloaded about 2GB since then)

I am wondering if Airtel has increased the limit for free ???

My existing plan is : Rs 1699+tax for 30GB at 2mbps and 100GB at 1mbps

The new 2mbps plan is: Rs 1599+tax for 75GB at 2mbps and unlimited at 256kbps

Now the big question is if they increased the limit for free and would they allow us old customers to retain 1mbps speed after exceeding FUP limit ???

I got a mail last month and this month saying I reached 80percent of my free usage. Thats 80 GB. Now I'm pretty sure I've crossed 100GB and still havent seen any redcutions. I'm curious to know what happens.

Most ISPs don't USUALLY seem to update the plans that existing customers are on - they leave them where they are until the customer notices. Sometimes this works to the customers advantage (new plans tend to have more restrictive FUPs as you can see), other times not (price is cut in like, half or something).

IMO, for the sake of Rs100, you're better off on your current plan.

Exactly. You are getting un-FUP'd usage right... stick with it.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm on one of airtel's old Freedom 2999 plans.

I pay 2999 for 2mbps till 100 GB and then 1 mbps thereafter.

I'm tempted for the turbo 150gb plan, 4mbps till 150 GB and then 256 kbps there after. Only thing is that the speed is reduced 8 times to 256.

You'll find in most countries that after the FUP is reached, the speed is reduced to something significantly less than the original speed and not just cut in half from 2mbit/s to 1mbit/s; or 1mbit/s to 512 or 256kbit/s or whatever. From the outside, it's only because the speeds are so slow to begin with that the reduction is, in most cases, only 50-75%.

I say "only", because in Australia you can go from speeds of up to 24mbit/s or even 100mbit/s to either 64k or 256k once your FUP is reached - that's a reduction of anything between 98.95% or 1/96th (in the case of up to 24mbits to 256kbits) and an incredible 99.9375% or 1/1600th (in the case of 100mbits to 64kbits) of the original speed!

In NZ, we take the middle road with a reduction from up to 24mbit/s to 64kbit/s - a mere 99.73% or 1/384th - and we have even worse caps than what Airtel was throwing at you before (the largest ISP offers caps of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20 & 40GB per month, starting at Rs2850 up to Rs5109 a month... which further proves my point that speed doesn't cost, only data).

----------

How Bad Do We Really Have it? Bandwidth Caps Around the World

Back