First Hand Experience with Sun DTH and Tata Sky a comparison

personally i feel sun dth is better for us(malayalees),as it bundles all needed channels! :p also,i had experiance with Sky dth in bangalore!just a word!too costly for the same service sun gave us+lack of regional channels(esp news channels) which is a must esp for south indians :)Dishtv is not at all considered! :p ;)

Generally watermarks is provided by the content provider, not the DTH operator, Right?

Watermarks are added by DTH operator, to avoid illegal usage of their signal by cable operators. DISH does it for all channels, but Tata Sky does it only for channels distributed by STAR (and probably exclusive channels)

i agree with u prakash every one prefer to take a dth who gave all the channels on his language i think sun dth bundles all the south indian channels only zee kannada and telugu + star vijay are missed from south indian list (kerala,tamil nadu , karnataka and andra ) they will add these 3 channels when they provide zee and star packages so only sun dth fullfill south indian dreames i feel now onwards its very difficult for Tata Sky or dishtv to get a good market in south unless they provide all south channels

I think Maran's are best in marketing and they will definitely win south and most prolly even east india(w.bengal et al) but...it is really difficult for them to compete in north!well,still wait and see :)

I could not see any watermarks in any of the channel yesterday on both Sun and Tata. I used to see it when I was using cable TV. So Prakash you may be right.

Yes, the picture and audio quality if sundirect is not very great. for some channels it is even less than the local cable network. You can get the picture without grains, but no perfection. Colour setting need to be adjusted channel to channel and most of the channles are fade. Not sure if someting to do with dish positioning. May be sun will improve slowly:(

Picture quality is imporved after a software update.

A couple of days back I have upgraded the firmware and now the video quality is as good as Tata Sky. But it is painfully slow. For some channels even "please wait" message will be on before the picture appears. The problem with audio continues.....:)

Good Comparison Thomas. I am Venkat and I live in Chennai. I just got a new samsung 40" LCD (HD Ready and not a full HD) and wanted to subscribe for a DTH. Am seriously thinking between Tata Sky and sun. I guess I need to wait a little more as Tata sky is still creating serious monoploy (despite the govt. order their Set of Box works only with tata sky. That cannot be used with other DTH providers.I do not want to take the pain of using Sun DTH till they mature to some level.As you said, I am unable to get the max out of my LCD tv due to poor transmissions and stuffs. May be we got the product and i think it is too early to use it completely :)Since you said you are a gadget freak (I am too..may be not to a greater level) - I havent explored anything on the gaming side. Can u suggest me with some ideas in this - I am debating between Sony ps and xbox.

Back