First Hand Experience with Sun DTH and Tata Sky a comparison

Good Comparison Thomas. I am Venkat and I live in Chennai.

I just got a new samsung 40" LCD (HD Ready and not a full HD) and wanted to subscribe for a DTH. Am seriously thinking between Tata Sky and sun.

You can't get much quality in any of the DTH services presently available. It is applicable to Reliance also. I have seen the Relaince transmissions and it is not that great to watch on a 40" screen. All use too much compressions.

You can't get much quality in any of the DTH services presently available. It is applicable to Reliance also. I have seen the Relaince transmissions and it is not that great to watch on a 40" screen. All use too much compressions.
Reason is that as of now all DTH players are giving analogue signals only because 99% on indian TVs are analogue so no point giving HD signals for just 1% ( May be less than that) of customers. Not a viable option.

Good Comparison Thomas. I am Venkat and I live in Chennai.

I just got a new samsung 40" LCD (HD Ready and not a full HD) and wanted to subscribe for a DTH. Am seriously thinking between Tata Sky and sun. I guess I need to wait a little more as Tata sky is still creating serious monoploy (despite the govt. order their Set of Box works only with tata sky. That cannot be used with other DTH providers.
I do not want to take the pain of using Sun DTH till they mature to some level.
As you said, I am unable to get the max out of my LCD tv due to poor transmissions and stuffs. May be we got the product and i think it is too early to use it completely :)
Since you said you are a gadget freak (I am too..may be not to a greater level) - I havent explored anything on the gaming side. Can u suggest me with some ideas in this - I am debating between Sony ps and xbox.

Problem with Large screen HD ready and Full HD TVs are that we end up spending a lot for the matching source material :( :(

I bought a Sony PS3 (eventhough I admire Microsoft and Gates a lot) since I wanted a true Digital media hub for the living room. If you are interested more on games X-Box 360 is a better choice. I am not interested in games but my children enjoys PS3 games espeically my son who is doing engg. PS3 is costlier and the main attraction of PS3 compared to Xbox is the blue ray drive so you can enjoy all blue ray movies and games at its fill glory 1080P.
My experience with PS3 mixed and I feel it is good for somebody with a decent technical background and I love it on that account. You will get a firmware upgrade every alternate weeks or so and currently it is at 2.10 which plays DivX and Xvid and any other media at all upscaled to 1080P :) It can directly read all memory cards and I love Sony's implementation of Phtoto album. But the blue ray movies and games are very costly 2.79K approx for each. X-Box is cheaper has most of the capabilities of the PS3 minus the builtin Blue-ray/ HD-DVD drive.. etc..
I am running Ubutnu Linux on PS3 as a dual boot to Sony XMB. But Linux fails to live up to my expectation as viable OS for a living room. So I use MAC mini connected to Sony Full HD 40" TV running MAC OS X Leopard as the main OS in my living room. iLife 08, Time Machine are really good.

PS3 consumes 300W and emits lots of heat and it is not quiet., almost similar problems are there for XBOX too.
If you need more info please let me know. mail me at [email protected]

Reason is that as of now all DTH players are giving analogue signals only because 99% on indian TVs are analogue so no point giving HD signals for just 1% ( May be less than that) of customers. Not a viable option.

Analouge signals are in use only on Cable tv network at present. Even there digital stbs are available. DTH services in India are in Digital mode. They are compressing too much that we can see it even in 21" screen. Naturally on a 40" it will be an eyesore (even if we don't consider the amount we have invested).

Hi guys, can some one tell where i can buy a sun dth connection in bangalore. I see a lot of posts from bangalore here. I think there should be some dealer in banglaore for sure to sell sun dth.

contact toll free 1800-200-7575(BSNL)they will provide the add&ph no of dealer in any languageregards

Hi guys,
can some one tell where i can buy a sun dth connection in bangalore. I see a lot of posts from bangalore here. I think there should be some dealer in banglaore for sure to sell sun dth.

Which area you belongs to (in Bangalore)?

Back