Overall Jio AirFiber Experience

I could honestly blame myself for one thing only and that was thinking that having a glorified 5G Mobile Data Hotspot would be a good idea.
Here is my TLDR of my experience with using Jio AirFiber:
  1. Only good for basic browsing + video streaming but expect it to be extremely sluggish and annoying
  2. Doing anything that requires a stable connection to a server? Forget about it, disconnection is inevitable.
  3. Pathetic Service. You can't really use this thing without having packet loss, speed issues or disconnection.
  4. You can't get a refund once you pay, what's worse you have to stick with this shitty service for 6/12 months depending on your purchased plan.
  5. Using their STB is also terrible, oddly for me having trouble with connecting with my TP-Link extender which works totally fine with all of my other devices.
  6. 1000 GB FUP, really bad for those who do bandwidth intensive tasks like downloading large files or video streaming.
  7. Customer Care will do the following if you having internet issues:
    • Restart Router, very much the obvious thing to do but doesn't help.
    • Reset Router, barely does anything to help. The router has barely anything settings that can impact internet speeds + connection quality.
    • Technicians, honestly they can't really do anything if 99% of the internet issues are entirely backend aka issues from Jio's end itself.
  8. You don't get any form of compansation also. If you are someone that can't invest into a new ISP then you are screwed.
    You can use mobile hotspot and such but that's isn't a good long term solution.

@Aetopia

That's exactly my experience as well with Jio AirFiber. Never seen such a lame admin console in any routers so far. It doesn't even have the basic option to disable Wireless AP or separate settings for 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Except for changing wifi password and LAN subnet settings it doesn't have anything useful.

Hi Everyone,
Got air fiber installed yesterday. Paid for it a week ago (30mbps, 6 months plan). I already have a BSNL broadband, so air fiber will be a back up. They installed outdoor unit on the terrace (4 floors) and drew an ethernet cable to my flat on the ground floor. Their app was showing two towers near by and they oriented the unit towards the closest one. it took around 2hrs to complete the installation.

Getting download speed of 27 to 30 mbps. ping varies, sometimes 40 and then 65 etc. But I am able to connect to office VPN /RDC (open VPN) and could work continuously for a couple of hours. Then I was made aware of the biggest drawback of air fiber. power went off. it took around 1 minute to get the wifi back.
Other than that, I am satisfied with Jio AirFiber.

I am planning to use the set top box and stop airtel dth recharge (monthly 450Rs). So effectively I am getting 30mbps plan at 260Rs per month.
Couple of observations and questions to experienced users in this forum:
1. My Jio app shows as post paid air fiber and says its billed on 1st of every month even though I have prepaid for 6 months.
2. it shows 124GB data left of 129GB even though 1000GB is the data limit per month (I am thinking this is pro-rated data for 4days remaining in this month)
3. What happens after 6 months? will it be like post paid mobile connection? Or will they ask to pay in advance for 6 months again?
4. The router has 2 WAN ports (one dedicated and one WAN/LAN port. Ethernet out from PoE injector is connected to the dedicated WAN port. What is the use of other one? Can we connect output from my BSNL ftth router (Alphion AONT 1421) to this WAN port? I tried but it did not recognize it. Any settings change can make this work? Or its meant to be used with Jio Fiber only?
5. Will a third party PoE injector with power backup work with this router and outdoor unit? Like this one? else I may have get a tradition ups like APC BX600.

@eas Wah, biggest drawback was that it takes ONE minute to connect again? Isn't it quite fast? In JioFiber, it takes 3-5 minutes to connect.

You can pay monthly after six months, by the way.

And you sure it is "prepaid"? They are forcing postpaid JioFiber (wired one) to everyone nowadays, so could it be that they got you signed up for a postpaid connection?

Reactions: eas
@eas

Good to know that Jio AirFiber works for you but please don't consider it as a replacement.

If you are a heavy bandwidth user, the FUP is extremely pathetic.

Using their IPTV was basically a nightmare, constant buffering as well as the setup box refusing to connect to my TP-Link extender.

The first LAN port maybe used to connect a router in bridge mode. That's whole another can of worms.

Jio AirFiber is good only and only if Jio can fix their shitty customer service and backend.

If possible go and look for ISPs in your area that provide good service.

If you can't get fiber, coaxial is always an alternative.

@Zuke , thanks for the reply. Biggest drawback was that it got disconnected when power went off and there is no easy way to provide a back up due to this PoE thing. And when we are in a teams call, 1minute feels like very long time :).
By "prepaid" I meant that payment was made in advance for 6 months. May be after 6 months, it will be like a postpaid connection. Not a big deal for me.
@Aetopia , this will be a back up connection. I have BSNL ftth as the main provider. With that, my monthly usage never crossed 1TB (3 people wfh, 1or 2 4k movies a week etc. No gaming at all). So I am not very concerned about data usage.

On my JIO Air Fiber 100Mbps plan I have observed a couple of problems

(1) Around 9:00 pm the internet speed drops to 0.30 to 0.50 Mbps and everything sticks.

(2) There is no BBC, CNN, and a few other channels on STB.

(3) There is no settings available to prevent router to broadcast the SSIDs (5 as well as 2.5 Ghz). Naturally the people roaming around can break into it by brut-force.

28 days using Airfiber, initially I thought that 1000gb FUP is not fare,(tough I didnt checked usage earlier in my life as was using cable unlm fiber broadband), to cut the cost of tv I opted for a 899 plan, as jio tower is near from my house I already knew and checked that,(I checked in my location jio 5g data speeds is 700-1gbps in my mobile) tough they use different chunk of airwave for jio fiber now, as jio initially divided the airwave for mobile data and airfiber and will soon launch 26ghz milimiter wave for airfiber so that all can get the real broadband feel.

Taking about the FUP, I was amazed to see that my monthly utilisation is just 510GB, i browse 4k videos, youtube, music, work from home, upload office files, jio stb is always on in my bed room, jio tv plus (already app launched in fire stick) is also always on in my drawing room tv, after all at 28th day my data consumption is 510GB, so it suffices my requirments.

Total 2 tv vewing(1stb+1app) plus 8 cellphones, and one laptop(wfh), all at 899+18% GST.

YES as its i. Early stage and they are checking the capacity it lags sometimes but gets resolved quick,

My average ping 18-20ms
Confidence factor 95-100%
Download 95.01mbps
Upload 115mbps.

It depends on area to area.

Airtel fiber ping is 2-3ms which is on Location A and getting the same ping 3-4 on Location B via PTP litebeam 5ac. Speed remains 44-48mbps on 40mbps plan and 220mbps-244mbps on 200mbps plan as using.

JioAirfiber 1TB limit is okay but if we are not crossing the fup limit, there is no reason to limit it. we have family members, neighours who use my wifi and the data consumption is very high. i remember passing the 1tb limit downloading backup files for the test of the server and it was not even working after that. 64kbps is a joke.

Back